Recipe from: ayearatthetable.com
Cooking for 2, 4, 6, 20 people?! Simply change the number of guests you are feeding and watch the ingredients below update to make the perfect amount of food. TIP: You might want to account for those who tend to go for seconds…or thirds. Whatever, we don’t judge.
Chorizo Tortilla Soup
- 12 ounces Polidori Chorizo Sausage
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic chopped (2 medium cloves)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth or stock
- 28 ounces carton or canned tomatoes diced
- 2 cups russet potato peeled, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 15 ounces canned black, kidney, or pinto beans drained
- fresh black pepper ground
- In a stockpot, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat then add onions and cook and stir until softened and lightly browned, about 3-5 minutes. Add garlic and cook until softened, about 1 minute.
- Push onions and garlic to one side and add remaining tablespoon oil; add sausage and cook and stir until lightly browned, about 3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, potatoes and salt; bring to a simmer and cook 5 minutes. Add beans and simmer until broth is slightly thickened and potatoes are soft when poked with the tip of a knife, about 20 minutes.
- While soup is simmering, cut tortillas into 4 pieces then cut each piece into ½ inch wide strips. Heat vegetable oil in a small saucepan over medium heat. In batches, fry tortilla strips just until golden brown and crisp, about 1 minute; transfer to a paper to a paper towel to drain and sprinkle with salt.
- Season soup with salt and pepper. Ladle into serving bowls and top with cilantro and tortilla strips.