Recipe from: Chef Jason K. Morse, 5280 Culinary, LLC
Polidori Beer Brats and Braised Cabbage
- 6 slices Thick Applewood bacon cut into medium pieces
- 1 whole Medium yellow onion Julienned small
- 1 tsp Garlic minced
- 1 whole Large red apple cored and Julienned
- 1 cup Carrots shredded
- 1 1/2 cup Red cabbage shredded
- 1 1/2 cup Green cabbage shredded
- 2 tsp Caraway seed
- 2 tbsp Seasoned salt
- 3 tbsp Dark brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp Smoked black pepper
- 2 cups Low sodium chicken stock
- 1 cup Dark or amber beer
- Place your Cast Iron Dutch Oven on the stove, pre heat on high heat for 5-7 Minutes.
- Once heated, add the bacon and cook until rendered and bacon starts to caramelize.
- Add the caraway, onions and garlic. Sauté in the bacon fat until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the carrots, apples and cabbage. Sauté for 5 minutes to soften.
- Add the seasoned salt, pepper, sugar and mix well.
- Add the Chicken stock and choice of Beer – we prefer an amber or darker beer.
- Cover the cast iron dutch oven and cook on medium heat for about 20 minutes.
- Remove cover, stir well and continue to cook on medium heat until 80% of liquid has evaporated.
- Adjust seasoning as needed. If too much liquid evaporates add more stock.
Serve hot with grilled or smoked Polidori Beer Brats! Recipe from: Chef Jason K. Morse, 5280 Culinary, LLC