Recipe by Southern Living.
Cooking for 2, 4, 6, 20 people?! Simply change the number of guests you are feeding and watch the ingredients below update to make the perfect amount of food. TIP: You might want to account for those who tend to go for seconds…or thirds. Whatever, we don’t judge.
Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
- 1 pound Hot Italian Sausage bulk or removed from case
- 1/4 cup Onion chopped
- 2 1/2 cups frozen cubed hash browns
- 5 large eggs lightly beaten
- 2 cups (8 oz.) sharp Cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 3/4 cups milk
- 1 cup all-purpose baking mix Note: can use gluten-free baking mix for gluten-free version
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook sausage and onion in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until meat crumbles. Stir in hash browns, and cook 5 to 7 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink and potatoes are lightly browned. Drain mixture on paper towels; spoon into a greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Stir together eggs, cheese, and next 4 ingredients; pour evenly over sausage mixture, stirring well. Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Bake, covered with nonstick foil, at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake 10 to 15 more minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from oven, and let stand 5 minutes. Serve with desired toppings. Garnish, if desired.